Tuesday, August 5, 2008

East Kalimantan Island Archipelagos

Now, I really can't wait for my diving trip this coming October. I hope there'll be no unforeseen circumstances along the way like 'supposed to be' my Malapascua trip last year. FYI, I already booked the Maratua Paradise Resort for 6 nights and my accommodation in Tarakan (juz in case I need it). The problem now is the flight from Tarakan to Berau coz the only airline operated that route (that I knew of) is Kalstar and currently they suspended all their flights schedule until 31 August 08. So, I can't do any booking until September 08. I hope they'll resume their operation sooner. In the meantime, I'll tell you more about the dive sites.

Maratua : They called it the 'big fish' country coz we can see a lot of large pelagic around the area. I hope to see eagle rays, schools of tuna, barracuda and hammerhead sharks (probably at 40-50 metres).

Kakaban : Expect to do wall diving with big pelagic as well like schools of travelly, jack, tuna, barracuda, white tip sharks, leopard sharks etc... The unique thing about Kakaban is that in the middle of this island lies a non-stinging jellyfish lake in a brackish water. The water have lower salinity (almost fresh water like). It's similar like the non-stinging jellyfish lake that I went in Palau, Micronesia.

School Of White Tip That I Took In Palau

Sangalaki : The ultimate diving experience coz here I would expect to see abundance of Manta Ray (Mantas). I love seeing mantas in the open sea coz they 'dance' beautifully. My first Mantas experience was in German Channel, Palau and it was sooo overwhelming. I hope to see it again in Sangalaki.

Mantas Photo That I Took In Palau

Derawan
(if time permitted) : The unique thing about Derawan is the unusual small creatures native to the coral environment. It's like you can't see it at any other place (that what they said). I hope I have time for Derawan.

Here are some of my best underwater photos for Mantas and underwater cave that I took in Palau, Micronesia

2 comments:

Adi Osman said...

seems like u are sooooo into backpacking!

best kan?

tak mampu nak buat semua tu! maklumlah sorang sorang nak jenjalan......

Unknown said...

Hi,
I read your post and my boyfreind and I will also go to Derawan for diving in october. We plan to leave Tawau on 18th october and go back to Tawau on 24th october.
We are thinking of staying on Derawan because we would like to dive on Sangalaki and other islands too, but I've got to check the costs for Maratua too.
Maybe we can exchange some info on how to get there, it looks quite complicated ;-).
cheers Julie
julie.l.coste@gmail.com